Petra Excursion Day Trip By Bus and Ferry From Sharm
Petra Day Trip : Petra Established possibly as early as 312 BC as the capital city of the Nabataeans, it is a symbol of Jordan, as well as its most visited tourist attraction. It lies on the slope of Mount Hor in a basin among the mountains which form the eastern flank of Arabah “Wadi Araba”, the large valley running from the Dead Sea to the Gulf of Aqaba. Petra has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1985.
The site remained unknown to the Western world until 1812, when it was introduced by Swiss explorer Johann Ludwig Burckhardt. It was described as “a rose-red city half as old as time” in a Newdigate Prize-winning poem by John William Burgon. UNESCO has described it as “one of the most precious cultural properties of man’s cultural heritage”. See: UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage Lists. Petra was chosen by the Smithsonian Magazine as one of the “28 Places to See Before You Die.”
The giant red mountains and vast mausoleums of a departed race have nothing in common with modern civilization, and ask nothing of it except to be appreciated at their true value – as one of the greatest wonders ever wrought by Nature and Man.
Although much has been written about Petra, nothing really prepares you for this amazing place. It has to be seen to be believed.
The Treasury is merely the first of the many wonders that make up Petra. You will need at least four or five days to really explore everything here. As you enter the Petra valley you will be overwhelmed by the natural beauty of this place and its outstanding architectural achievements. There are hundreds of elaborate rock-cut tombs with intricate carvings – unlike the houses, which were destroyed mostly by earthquakes, the tombs were carved to last throughout the afterlife and 500 have survived, empty but bewitching as you file past their dark openings. Here also is a massive Nabataean-built,
Petra, the world wonder, is without a doubt Jordan’s most valuable treasure and greatest tourist attraction. It is a vast, unique city, carved into the sheer rock face by the Nabataeans, an industrious Arab people who settled here more than 2000 years ago, turning it into an important junction for the silk, spice and other trade routes that linked China, India and southern Arabia with Egypt, Syria, Greece and Rome.
Entrance to the city is through the Siq, a narrow gorge, over 1km in length, which is flanked on either side by soaring, 80m high cliffs. Just walking through the Siq is an experience in itself. The colours and formations of the rocks are dazzling. As you reach the end of the Siq you will catch your first glimpse of Al-Khazneh “Treasury”.
Drive from Sharm to Nuwieba to sail across the Gulf of Aqaba on a ferry to Jordan, where we will take you to the incredible, rock-cut city of Petra. This is truly a site to behold. Petra is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the most impressive archeological sites you will ever see
- Early morning, pick up you from your hotel in Sharm el-Sheikh. “Around 2.30 A.M.”
- Drive to Newbie city, to join the ferry boat to Aqaba.(2.30 hours)
- Ferry boat from Nuweiba to Aqaba about “one hour”.
- Meet & assist in Aqaba marine, then transfer to Petra by Bus about “2 hours”
- Your first stop, will be in Wadi Musa, to stock up with food or souvenirs from the rest house, then go ahead to the Siq canyon.
- Before your entrance to the Siq canyon, on your left hand, there is a Petra Obelisk tomb, with a five graves, four of them represented in a pyramid shape and one in Statue shape.
- You will start your visit to the Siq canyon of petra, by visiting El-Khazanah. “Treasury”
- Upon your entrance to the Siq canyon, you will see the remains of a ceremonial arch, built by Nabataeans.
- After 1.5 Kilometer of winding around, the Siq will open on the most impressive of Petra monuments, which called El-Khazna “The Treasury”, carved in the solid rock.
- Next to El-Khaznah, the Siq will turn right and lead you to some niches, tombs, and the Amphitheater.
- After the Amphitheater, the Siq is going wide and lead you to the main part of Petra monuments, which will be The Royal tomb or the Palace tomb.
- By the end of your tour in Petra, you will go to have lunch in a five star hotel.
- Next to lunch, drive back to Aqaba, then join the ferry boat to Newbie.
- Meet & assist in Newbie, the drive back to Sharm el-Sheikh.
- All transportation by air Conditioned buses.
- Ferry boat tickets Nuweiba/Aqaba/Nuweiba.
- English speaking tour guide.
- All entrance fees.
- Jordan visa cost.
- Departure taxes in both side of Egypt and Jordan.
- Any personal expenses.
- Trip Duration: about 20 hours
- Tour Runs: Tuesdays & Fridays
- Start Times: 02.30 AM from your hotel.
- Valid visa
- Breakfast box from your hotel reception
- Sun cream
- Sun Hat
Adult: 175 GBP
Child: 160 GBP (Child is till 12 years old)
Special prices for groups
Please, Read Our Terms & Conditions
Contact Us Form